COVID-19 – What is it?
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus. Symptoms include;
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
The virus is spread from person to person, however following good hygiene practices such as washing your hands can help prevent infection.
If you suspect COVID-19
- Seek medical advice. You can contact your doctor or the hospital before your visit. Inform staff of your symptoms, travel history and advise if you have been in close contact with a person suspected or confirmed of COVID-19
- Call the National Coronavirus Helpline to discuss your symptoms
- Whilst you wait to be assessed, restrict yourself to your home and socially distance yourself from other people in your home where possible
- People who are unable to get an appointment with their GP and meet the above criteria can visit one of the COVID-19 clinics. Call Health Direct on 1800 022 222 to find out where your nearest clinic is.
National Coronavirus Helpline
If you are seeking information on COVID-19 call 1800 020 080. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Avoiding COVID-19 scams
Scammers are unfortunately taking advantage of the spread of COVID-19 to exploit and prey on the fears of consumers across Australia.
Scammers are falsely selling coronavirus-related products online and using fake emails or text messages to try and obtain personal data.
What you can do
To find out more information or to report an incident visit scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam. You can also call the ACCC info centre on 1300 302 502.
Practice Good Hygiene
- Cover coughs and sneezes with elbow or tissue
- Put used tissues straight into the bin
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitisers
- Wash hands often with soap
- Clean surfaces (benchtops, desks, doorknobs)
- Clean objects such as phones, keys & wallets
- Open a window to increase fresh air
Online symptom checker
Health Direct has an online symptom checker. Answer questions about your symptoms to see if you need to seek medical help or get tested: healthdirect.gov.au/symptom-checker/tool/basic-details
If you have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, call 000 for urgent medical help.
Still feeling unsure?
If you still feel unsure whether you should visit your GP, SA Health has developed a great flowchart with some easy-to-follow steps to help you make the right decision.
It’s important to get accurate information from credible sources. This will help you maintain perspective and feel more in control.
- Australian Government Health Alerts – health.gov.au
- SA Health – sahealth.sa.gov.au
- Health Direct – healthdirect.gov.au
- World Health Organisation – who.int
Useful phone numbers
- ECH – 1300 275 324
- SA Health – 1300 232 272
- Health Direct – 1800 022 222
- Independent Living Services Team – 8159 4700