Healthy eating is especially important for keeping your immune system in top condition. Autumn is a fantastic time where there is an abundance of fresh produce available.
ECH Dietitian Deepti Parmar provides some tips on how to eat healthy and keep your nutrition intake high during this time:
- Keep hydrated – Regularly take small sips of water. If you have a fluid restriction, follow advice by your doctor or medical professional
- Non-perishable items – Stock up on frozen and tinned fruit, frozen, fresh and tinned vegetables, meats, tinned legumes, tinned fish, baked beans, frozen meals, dried fruit and nuts -these items have a long shelf life and don’t spoil quickly.
- Don’t share – When eating meals or food, it is recommended to keep your meals separate from other people
Frozen and shelf staple food safety tips
- Long-life milks and custards will store for longer periods of time and will ensure you won’t be quick to run out
- Instant noodles go well with tinned fish and peas or corn for a quick meal
- Quick steamer bags of rice and pasta are now available and can be eaten with some protein added (e.g. tinned fish, chickpeas and beans)
- Ensure meals are reheated thoroughly before eating
- Do not re-freeze meals
- Label your meals with the date and meal type to ensure you use them on time
- Frozen meals should be used within three months
Order online ready made meals
- Meals on Wheels 1800 854 453
- Nonna’s Cucina 8240 3491
Food SA launches new online marketplace
Food South Australia has recently launched a new online marketplace, to connect consumers with local food and beverage providers that can take online orders and deliver products straight to your own home.
To order, visit foodsouthaustralia.com.au/member-directory/online-marketplace or call 8303 9435.
Grow your own produce
Do you have a spare planter box, or perhaps a space to grow herbs, vegetables and fruit?
Autumn is a great time of year to plant a variety of produce that you can harvest in the coming weeks, such as:
- Asian greens
- Snow peas
- Citrus (lemon, orange and lime)
- Herbs like chives, coriander, oregano and parsley